In summer, when zucchinis of all sizes are $1.50 at the farmer's market (or your neighbour is giving them away) use 1 monster zuke in this recipe.
In the winter, by necessity, I use the organic baby zucchinis from Mexico.
These are fabulous reheated!
- 6-7 baby zucchinis
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 6-8 sliced mushrooms
- 2 lbs ground meat (pastured beef, bison, lamb, elk, chicken or turkey; use a combination)
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 finger fresh turmeric, peeled & minced (if you can't find fresh, use ground)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Himalayan salt (or similar)
Preheat oven to 350.
Fry onion, if using, in 1 Tbsp fat until golden brown.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, stirring occasionally until the meat is just cooked.
Meanwhile, remove the stem end & cut the zucchinis lengthwise. With a sharp paring knife slice out the seeds to make a concavity in each 'canoe'.
Lay zucchini halves close together, cut side up on a baking tray.
Melt remaining fat & brush onto each canoe.
Fill each canoe with the meat mixture, heaping it up on top and between the canoes as necessary.
Bake 40 minutes.
If some or all of the canoes are destined for reheating, remove them after 30 minutes.
Make packages of 2 (or more) canoes with tinfoil & refrigerate. Pop a package into the oven the moment you get home from work or whenever you need a snack.
Add a sliced avocado (& maybe some sauerkraut) and call it breakfast!